Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog was on prednisone days allergic reaction

Customer Question

Hi, My dog was on prednisone for 5 days for an allergic reaction of unknown etiology (hives, face swelling, etc). He has been off the prednisone for about a week already, but seems more tired than usual and is constantly hungry. His nose is still cold and wet, and he gets excited appropriately but wears out very quickly and seems to want to sleep a lot. When someone comes over, or when we first come downstairs in the morning he's up with tail wagging and happy appearing. He has not been excessively thirsty, but does pee a little more than usual. Could the side effects of prednisone still be at play here, or might there be something else going on?
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hi Joshua, thanks for your question. Was Remington slowly tapered off of the prednisone? Did you see these symptoms while he was on the medication, as well?