Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

He can not have a bowel movement, it has been 2 weeks iv giving

Customer Question

He can not have a bowel movement, it has been 2 weeks iv giving him a suppositories 2 times and he has a small movement and it's very black
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: He can't have a bowel movment
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: He just lays around
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bo,
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bo?
Customer: No he's 13 years old
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear about your pup. He sounds very sick.I understand that he is lethargic but is Bo eating and drinking normally? Dark/black or tarry stools usually indicate digested blood in the stool.Gastrointestinal bleeding can be caused by a primary viral, bacterial or protozoan infection, or eating something that irritates the gastrointestinal tract, inflammatory bowel disease or a severe case of parasites, an obstruction or twisting of the bowel leading to intestinal wall damage, internal organ failure or cancer.The danger with blood in the stool is that means the intestine is raw and a raw intestine more easily allows bacteria into the abdominal cavity itself and can lead to peritonitis. The darker color of his stool indicates the blood is in his stool is from farther forward in the intestinal tract.His lethargy can be due to eating poorly, anemia if he is bleeding quite a bit or secondary to whatever disease process caused his gastrointestinal bleeding.If he is not neutered then he may have prostatic enlargement which would certainly interfere with his ability to pass stools.Can you check his temperature for me? Normal dog temp is 102F. A fever is >103.5F.Can you also check his mucous membrane (gum) color? They should be bubblegum pink and if you press on them they should blanche then return to pink in less than 2 seconds. They should also be moist not sticky. If they are sticky that means he is dehydrated. Dogs that are dehydrated may become constipated too.If his color is fine and he doesn't have a fever or a subnormal temperature (less than 99F) then he is more stable than a dog with a high fever or a low temperature, but I still would recommend an emergency examination today given his symptoms and the length of time that he's been sick.If he has a fever, his mucous membranes aren't pink, and when you press on his abdomen it seems very tense or painful I would be more even concerned. These are signs of a blockage, pancreatitis (inflammation of his pancreas causing increased enzyme production, usually related to a high fat meal) or possibly a viral infection. These are emergency situations and he needs to be seen immediately.If he cannot be examined today do not try to feed him any more if he seems at all nauseous. Fast him for at least 12 hours. Right now hydration is important so make sure he's drinking well. It's a good idea to offer pedialyte or clear broth in a few hours to replace electrolytes. If he won't drink on his own you will need to dribble it in with a syringe (2 to 3 teaspoons at a time).In case this is related to gastrointestinal ulcers to help them heal and try and settle his stomach today you can give either:1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.OR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation. They should be given for several days to weeks to aid in healing. If this goes well (no vomiting) then in 12 hours you can try a bland diet. If he vomits even without food then he needs to see a veterinarian for diagnostics (bloodwork and radiographs and/or an ultrasound of his abdomen)To make a bland diet boil hamburger (or chicken) chunks, drain off all fat, and mix 50:50 with plain boiled white rice. Feed 2 tablespoons initially. If he handles that well then feed her 1/4 cup of the mixture a couple hours later. If he handles that fine then feed him 4 meals of this mixture daily until he can be examined. If he starts vomiting, runs a fever, has a painful abdomen or refuses to eat he needs a veterinary examination.Please do not give him any more suppositories. These can cause dangerous forceful contractions in a dog with an obstruction or tumor and cause dangerous electrolyte imbalances in dogs.Either way I would suggest submitting a couple fresh stool samples to his veterinarian to check for gastrointestinal parasites.Please reply back to this post with any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful I would appreciate an update on your kitty, thank you, ***** *****