PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Have you ever heard of a heart murmur in a dog go from a 6/6

Customer Question

have you ever heard of a heart murmur in a dog go from a 6/6 to 4/6 over night or is it possible?
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hi, JACustomer. Thanks for your question. The sound of murmurs can change some due to hydration status, stress and positioning of the pet can change the intensity (sitting vs standing vs laying) of a murmur. In some cases, we can see that pets with anemia will have a more severe heart murmur that fades after a transfusion, too. Positioning of the stethoscope can play a role and, perhaps the most notable, the opinions between doctors listening to the murmur. For example, if two separate veterinarians listened to the heart on two different days (or occasions), this may simply be a difference of opinion. If you have other questions, let me know. Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, I will not be compensated for helping you today.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
when a dog goes into heart failure does the heart murmur rating usually go up or down?
In fact, that's not always an effective manner of determining what's going on in the heart. You can have a dog with no murmur at all that's in congestive heart failure. So, in this case, if your dog went from a 4 to a 6, it does not mean he was in CHF. Or, conversely, if it went from a 6 to 4 that he was previously in CHF and now isn't. Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, I will not be compensated for helping you today.
Did you have other questions that I could answer for you on this topic?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy