Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

We came home, my dog was panting heavily, extremely overheated

Customer Question

We came home, my dog was panting heavily, extremely overheated and struggling to walk.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound in his feet, his heart is racing and his eyes are glazed
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Charger, 12 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charger?
Customer: Panting heavily for the last 30 minutes, still struggling to stand and walk, we have tried to cool him down by wrapping him in a cold towel
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
It appears that Charged suffered a seizure and you're seeing the post-ictal (post-seizure) symptoms consistent with the heat generated by uncontrolled muscle contractions, his trying to dissipate the heat by panting, and the ataxia ("drunken sailor") and change in mental status consistent with either a complex partial seizure (also called psychomotor seizure) or general seizure (previously called grad mal). Does Charger have a history of seizure activity? Which breed is he, please?
errata: "Charger" not Charged "gran" not grad