PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

We have a ***** *****. 13 years old. several seizures in

Customer Question

we have a ***** *****. 13 years old. several seizures in the last few months. the last three are immediately after a bath. cloudy eyes. this time she is resting quietly. low growl at any food offered though she licks her lips as if very hungry and it is her dinner time. worried about her. what to do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Russell?
Customer: not that i can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) Has any blood work been performed following the seizures? 2) Have you discussed these seizures with your vet? 3) How many seizures are you seeing per month, roughly?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no. the dog belongs to my roommate who thinks it is worrisome but i am worried.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2 seizures this month.
Thank you for the additional information. It will take me 10-20 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how I will be compensated for my time.
So, the first thing to know is that bloodwork may tell you precisely why these seizures are happening. As dogs age, we can see abnormalities with their organs, electrolytes, etc. that can cause seizure activity. Now, it's not necessary to run lab work at the time of every seizure if the bloodwork was normal to start, but it is imperative that this be a starting diagnostic. When dogs are having intermittent seizure activity, we are slightly less concerned than when it becomes more regular. Since you are seeing 2 seizure each month, now is a perfect time to address this with the vet and discuss the usage of anti-convulsant therapy. If we can avoid our companion animals having seizures, we should do just that. Anti-convulsant therapy, once in therapeutic ranges, can all but eliminate seizures with daily medication. Most often, it's not expensive and it's easy to give. So, that would be where I would start off. First, see your vet and have some blood work performed. Second, discuss anti-convulsant therapy. Lastly, and especially if you're unable to see your vet soon, begin logging the seizure activity. Log time of day, duration, description of what you observe and behaviors leading up to/following the seizure. This will help your vet to establish a pattern and know when to begin treatment. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, I will not be compensated for helping you today.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it is not my dog. i cannot talk her into spending the money for the vet.
This is written with the intention of you sharing the information with her so that she has it available to her. It's likely that the seizure activity will get worse over time if left untreated. If she does not wish to treat the condition, it may be time to consider humane euthanasia for the companion's sake. I understand that this, also, is not a choice that you can make for her either. There is no home treatment or anything I can share with you to stop the seizures from happening. I can say that stress plays a role (as you've seen with bath time) so minimizing stress can minimize the number of seizures that you will see. Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, I will not be compensated for helping you today.