Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

Beagle has been coughing and gagging past 2 days, we think

Customer Question

beagle has been coughing and gagging past 2 days, we think maybe hair. what can we do---thank you
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the beagle's name?
Customer: gauge
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gage?
Customer: overweight 9yrs old
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 months ago.
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding your Beagle boy. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.Thank you for your patience.Kind Regards,Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 months ago.
Hi again,Thank you for your patience. There are a few things that could be causing these symptoms in your Beagle boy, and we definitely have to consider an infectious cause here such as Kennel Cough (infectious canine cough) or even canine influenza. Kennel cough occurs due to a number of bacteria and virii, however we generally only vaccinate against the bordetella bacteria and parainfluenza virus. This would typically cause a goose honk type cough and hacking/gagging. Other possible causes for your boy's issue here includes anything from a collapsing trachea (windpipe), to a primary heart issue, parasites (hopefully he is up to date with deworming treatments), to less common issues like myaesthenia gravis - or as you say, hair in his windpipe (less likely in dogs - more common in cats).We even have to consider this could have an allergic basis as dogs do get asthma and allergic rhinitis. If this just started in the last couple of days, then getting veterinary attention for your boy now should hopefully lead to a quick and easy treatment. If this was kennel cough, then a course of antibiotics may be enough to settle these symptoms within a week. If asthma or a heart issues is suspected, then they may want to take xrays. It is better to follow up these issues promptly rather than see if the settle on their own, as often they can be difficult to deal with if symptoms worsen. If he isn't too bad, and doesn't seem too bothered, then you could try a little Bendaryl in case this helps to settle the issue. The typical dose used is 1mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. Where possible, try using a harness rather than a collar, and keep a close eye on his symptoms. If this coughing/gagging/sneezing continues - then you really should get him checked over. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 months ago.
Hi again, How is your Beagle boy today? Is the cough/retching changed at all? It would be good to get an update when you get a moment.Kind Regards,Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc