PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

5 week old pup. We got him from someone whose dog had 10 pups..

Customer Question

5 week old pup. We got him from someone whose dog had 10 pups.. The mother dried up, 7 died, 3 remained. They took all pups from mother and bottle fed. . They gave us one last night ....we drove to pick him up.. He had a 5 hour car ride home.... He was very lethargic.. We though it was the long ride. However, here are concerning facts:
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: He is vomiting
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Has diareah
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) How long was this single puppy away from his mother? 2) Were they bottle feeding him at this time? 3) Have any weaning protocols been started? 4) Any veterinary care started for these puppies? 5) Was the mother vetted and on a monthly deworming regimen before becoming pregnant?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I think he was only with his mother a few days, the person with the litter said they don't know
They bottle fed
They said he was on caned pedigree
We have a vet appointment in 2 hours but we are gathering info
Mother not vetted, pups not wormed, they don't remember when her last vaccine was
Our puppy (Malcolm) is too thin, lethargic, poor coat , can't even keep water down, had diareah and vomits mucous
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
To complicate matters, the breeder said that pesticide was sprayed at their place this past Monday and the pups got into it
The first thing they are probably going to do is obtain a fecal to check for intestinal parasites. If they find any parasites or protozoan, they will deworm him and deworm the others, as well. They may also run a parvo test. He's a little on the young side for the onset of parvo but if mom has a poor history of vaccines and deworming this is a good place to start. Depending on his condition, bloodwork may also be performed. They can give medication to help with the vomiting and diarrhea, as well. It's unfortunate that the pups were exposed to pesticide. If I were you, I'd try to have the name of that medication available when the exam is done so you vet can check into the effects to see if they match Malcom's symptoms. Depending on the ingredients, there may be a specific treatment that's needed. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, I will not be compensated for helping you today.
Checking in to see how Malcolm is doing.