Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My Boston terrier puppy started sneezing a lot last night.

Customer Question

My Boston terrier puppy started sneezing a lot last night. It was right after she came in from outside and her nose has been running. Her sneezing seems to have ceased but her nose is tender she doesn't like it to be touched and she is still snorting and sneezing on occasion. The rest of her is fine she's still eating and is willing to play. I was wondering what could be wrong with her nose? Should I let her work through it or bring her to the vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Has she had any nasal discharge? From one or both nostrils?When she was sneezing, could she have bumped her nose/head?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She has from one nostril. It started off clear and then this morning was a little pink , but turned clear again.She has not bumped her head during her sneezing.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
About a week and a half ago she got her shots. Including bordatella and had a hair pulled out of the same side of her nose that is having discharge now.It's always had a little discharge and we took her to the vet a few days after her shots because her nose on that side started bleeding.They said it was probably stress from the shot and the hair and gave us antibiotics to prevent infection.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Oh dear, Now as I am sure you can appreciate, we do see sneezing in dogs for a range of reasons. Though if she is already settling and has a tender nose, hasn’t bumped it, and the discharge is only from one side; then we’d be concerned that this has be caused by something getting caught up her nose. Since she is improving, any item (ie seed, grass, etc) may have already been sneezed out but it is possible for them to be tender for a few days if something abrasive has irritated the nasal passage. That said, if the discharge is changing from clear, we do have to be wary that the item may still be caught. With this all in mind, I’d note that we can start some gentle supportive care at this stage. Of course, if her signs linger, we may need your local vet to sedate her to flush and/or remove what is caught. In regards ***** ***** care options, you can try gently flushing her nostrils with non-medicated saline nasal drops. To do so, just tilt her head back and drop two to three drops in that nostril. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge or material that gets loosened. As well, if she sounds quite congested, you can also steam treat her. To do so, you can take her in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. Or you can also use a baby nebulizer/humidifier. Though since they often don’t tend to like things held up to their faces, you could make her a little 'steam tent’ with you’re her in a dog crate, the nebulizer/humidifier next to it, and then cover both with a thin bed sheet. You could also do this in a small room. Overall, her sudden signs do make me concerned that she did inhale a small irritant or foreign body before her signs started. And if the discharge is changing as you reported, we’d be concerned that something is caught. So, we can try the above just now but if her signs linger we will want her vet to check her nose and flush it out under sedation to remove anything caught there. And afterwards, dog safe anti-inflammatories can be started to settle that secondary discomfort for her. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
PS- I just caught your second reply that you posted as I was typing. If she has always had discharge, has recently had something caught there, and has had a bleed there; I'd be even more concerned about whether something else has been caught for a while and did just get jostled. Otherwise, we'd also be concerned about a polyp or fungal infection in the nose since both can appear the same. Therefore, I do think having her nose flushed and potentially scoped or xrayed may be ideal here.Please take care,Dr. B.