PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

4 year old boxer just ate a cooked veal rib bone - maybe one

Customer Question

4 year old boxer just ate a cooked veal rib bone - maybe one and a half - out of the garbage, of course.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Gracie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gracie?
Customer: no, otherwise healthy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) How big was the veal bone? 2) How long ago was it eaten? Was this immediate? 3) Any gastric upset thus far or persistent swallowing?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Veal bone 6 inch rib bone. It was eaten about 15 minutes ago and no upset thus far
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My husband wants to take her to the emergency clinic. Should we?
Thanks for your reply. I think the best the ER could do for you would be to remove it endoscopically. Sometimes these bones go through the GI tract without complication. Some of them cause a blockage. If she consumed the full 6" without chewing, a trip to the ER would be wise. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, I will not be compensated for helping you today.
Checking in to see how Miss Gracie is doing.