Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

My dog is 17 and in final stage kidney failure what can I expect

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Princess
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Princess?
Customer: She has Cushing and a heart murmer rated 3
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 5 months ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet Tech for 30+ years. When the kidneys fail to do their job, the waste accumulates in the body. There is build up of waste may cause several symptoms, such as: Muscle wasting. mental changes, fluid accumulation, breathing changes, changes in urination causing swelling in abdomen and legs and also changes in appetite. Kidney failure end stage is very rough for animals and equally hard for the owners to watch the changes taking place. I would speak with your Vet about a crisis plan and a comfort kit to make princess as comfortable as possible during this time.Joan