PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

Do dogs shed their nails?? I'm finding nail casings around

Customer Question

do dogs shed their nails?? I'm finding nail casings around the house but her nails look fine.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.
Sometimes we will find some of the outlying layers come off, particularly in pets that are more active or use their nails more than others. However, it can also indicate more major underlying complications like nail bed infections, metabolic issues, etc. If her nails start to look off, definitely have her seen. Otherwise, monitor for changes. You should mention this to your vet and bring along a casing to her next exam for good measure if she has no problems before then. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, I will not be compensated for helping you today.
Did you have any other questions regarding the nail casings coming off?
Hi Diane`,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rena. How is everything going?