PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My 5 year old Pitt spits up water --not a lot -- about

Customer Question

My 5 year old Pitt bull spits up water --not a lot -- about 75 percent of the time she takes a drink. I think it's because she drinks fast, but I've never had a dog that did this. It's been going on for about 2 months or so. What should we do. She basically spits up her drink and then licks if off the floor
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.
Hi, Mark. Does she vomit up food when she eats, as well, or just the water?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

just water

Thank you for the additional information. It will take me 10 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how I will be compensated for my time.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I will wait for your response

Her vomiting only water does suggest, as you had suspected, that she's drinking liquid too quickly. This, in fact, is not an uncommon concern with bully breed dogs. There are a few ways that this is commonly addressed. First, serve her water as ice and allow her to consume only what she can lap up (aim for a large dish such as a cake pan and not small ice cubes which may cause choking) . Second, you can try a pace-reduction bowl like this one: she does not already have access around the clock to water, increasing the amount of time that she has access tow water may help to slow her pace. If she continues to have problems, you can also soak her food in water and allow her to consume a liquid gruel instead of giving her access to food and water separately. If these issues are persistent, talking to your vet about GI x-rays to be sure that there is nothing exacerbating the problem would be wise, but most of the time we see that this is secondary to behavior and not a medical issue. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, I will not be compensated for helping you today.