Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Both my shepherds died within 2 days of each other . They have

Customer Question

Both my shepherds died within 2 days of each other . They have killed over 20 armadillos . They two within.last 4 days , I found one with blood on his legs and private parts but nowhere else. He threw up earlier! I'm killed We have painters here but they have not been near it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She knows and has taken care of them for 6 years . She said I needed to take one to MSU for an autopsy but we are to far away and my husband is sick. She said she could not do autopsy but they were perfectly healthy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 7 months ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....Is there any possibility they got into anything unusual?Did they show any symptoms of being ill, or did you just fine them deceased?How old were they?Do you know if anyone has been putting out poison for the armadillos?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
They were both 7 ! Nothing put out for armadillos because they take care of them! Fire ant poison is put out every year!! A new man painting put out spider poison! I have 7 dogs and other four have not been sick! They eat blue wilderness dog food ! Shrubs have always been sprayed but never bothered dogs! I'm sick and at a loss .up to date on shots
Expert:  Lisa replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information. I really appreciate it.Since the other dogs are all fine, I suspect that possibly those two got into something unusual...possibly the fire ant poison or the spider poison...but of course, it's hard to know for sure.I'm so sorry that you lost two of your dogs, but I think at this point, since the others are doing fine and not showing any signs of problems and are up to date on vaccines, then I think simply monitoring them and paying close attention to where they may go is the best thing to do.Don't allow the remaining dogs to go anywhere you're not able to supervise them so that they're not getting into anything that could be toxic.I know that you're devastated about the loss of your two dogs, and I know that you're really searching for answers, but I'm afraid you may never know what caused their untimely and heartbreaking death.