Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

When my dog he has blood drip from his rectum. JA:

Customer Question

When my dog poops he has blood drip from his rectum.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Diesel 7
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Diesel?
Customer: NO
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
Over what period of time has this occurred, please? Blood drips may arise if anal sac glands are infected and full of blood. Pooping naturally expresses those glands. Such bleeding can also arise if the anus has been traumatized by passing hard and abrasive stool, if a bleeding anal or rectal tumor is present, or a colitis exists although I would expect diarrhea as well in that case. Diesel's vet will want to express Diesel's anal sac glands and if found to be hemorrhagic and infected proceed to flush them out with an antimicrobial solution such as chlorhexidine and then pack them with an antimicrobial ointment. If the glands aren't involved, digital palpation of Diesel's anus and rectum is needed and scoping (and biopsy) might be needed to fully visualize the rectum and colon. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It has been going on for about 4 days now the first day it was quite a bit and as it progressed it seems to have gotten better but there is still a little blood that drips every time he poops. There hasn't been any visual blood in his stool and his stool is solid. The only change in his behavior is that he seems to be tired more but he eats fine and plays fine and doesn't seem to express pain.
Thank you. Because his stool is normal, we can assume that the bleeding arises from the very end of his GI tract - rectum or anus. Simple trauma should be rapidly self limiting considering how quickly the GI tract can heal itself. Four days of bleeding concerns me. I'm comfortable continuing to "watchful wait" another 3 days to see if Diesel normalizes but, if not, it would be prudent to have his vet examine him as I posted above. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thank you for the help. So with everything would you say that it is more along the lines of the anal sac glands?
Yes, that's the first place I would look. Anal sac glands are vestigial and of no use to dogs. They just get in trouble too often. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thank you.
You're welcome.