Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

My 2 boxer pups, (1Year) decided to rip off branches of a small

Customer Question

My 2 boxer pups, (1Year) decided to rip off branches of a small rhododendron in the backyard. They chewed the branches and/or leaves but I don't know if they ate any. This was 3 days ago. Should I take them to the vet? I just found out the plant is poisonous. Wpuld they be showing any signs if there was a serious problem?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry for this concern for Mack and Finn. Just to confirm, they're behaving as they've always done with no symptoms whatsoever? There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Mack did not eat as usual today and allowed Finn to eat half his food this morning. They went to the groomers this morning so I have not monitored them. My daughter will be picking them up shortly. I had no idea until a few minutes ago the plant was poisonous.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the answer to my question and the additional information. While every part of this plant can be poisonous (in terms of causing symptoms), the degree of signs which might be seen in one particular patient depends on how much might be ingested.If either one or both ingested any of the plant 3 days ago, you'd have seen signs before now. The most common ones include: vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, and possibly inappetance. More serious signs include weakness, collapse, blindness, seizures and even death, unfortunately.This plant can, obviously, be quite nasty for dogs. I would have expected Mack to have lost his appetite before today if he ingested any of the Rhododendron three days ago, though, so I'm not certain if this is related especially in the absence of other symptoms. Treatment is primarily aimed at supportive care when a patient presents with signs; in other words, there's not a specific antidote but we treat the symptoms. So, at this point, I'd continue to monitor them but don't feel that a vet visit is necessary. More than likely, they didn't eat enough of this plant to cause serious harm. I suspect you plan to either remove this plant or prevent access to it in the future. From the sounds of it, they dodged a potentially quite serious bullet. I hope this helps to reassure you about them. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.
Hello again,I'm just following up on Mack and Finn. How are things going with them, especially Mack? Deb