Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have a poodle who will be 7 years old this Nov.,2016 She just started having a problem w

Customer Question

I have a poodle who will be 7 years old this Nov.,2016 She just started having a problem with hair loss on her back rump area. If she has Sebaceous Adenitis what can I do to get it better? I am a senior and it might be hard for me to get her to a Vet right away as I just had shoulder surgery. What could have caused this?
Submitted: 5 months ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
Joan, hair loss on the saddle area - the "back rump" - is most often associated with a flea saliva allergy which would be supported by a history of my patient turning around and nibbling at that area. Our dermatologists tell us to apply an effective over the counter flea spot-on such as Advantage/Advocate, a fipronil-containing product such as Frontline or one of the newer prescription products available from Lola Ann's vet even if fleas aren’t seen. Dogs can be such effective groomers so as to eliminate all evidence of flea infestation. Dogs who remain primarily indoors can contract fleas because we walk them in on us and flea eggs and larva can remain viable in your home for months. As the weather warms at this time of year, egg hatches are common. If the area between the edge of her rib cage and tail (the “saddle” area) is particularly excoriated, a flea saliva allergy should be the most important differential diagnosis. In severe cases, an anti-allergenic prescription glucocorticoid such as prednisone will work wonders for dogs allergic to the saliva of the flea. If you have other pets they may have fleas too but may not be allergic to the flea’s saliva.Sebaceous adenitis, however, is evidenced by mild to severe scaling most often involving the dorsum of the back and neck, top of the head, face (dorsal planum of the nose), ears (pinnae/ear flaps) or external canals, and tail. In short coated dogs such as she, the scales are usually fine and nonadherent. Pruritic (itchiness) is not usually seen unless there's a secondary bacterial or yeast infection, which is common. A flea saliva allergy is intensely pruritic.Treatment for sebaceous adenitis involves treating any secondary infection, and mild cases can be addressed with daily oral essential fatty acid supplementation and topical therapy with antiseborrheic shampoos (those containing some combination of tar, salicyclic acid, sulfur, benzoyl peroxide, or phytosphingosine). These shampoos can be found over the counter in pet/feed stores, online, or at Lola Ann's vet hospital. More severe cases should be addressed by her vet who will need to send home prescription drugs - of which there are many to choose from.Can you upload a photo(s) of representative skin to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What do I need to do if I want this canceled after the free 7 days trail period?
I'm not privy to your side of the site. Please contact***@******.*** for more information. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lola Ann. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You told me the wrong answer as we have no fleas here in Alaska.
It turns out that it was the food she was eating. I was giving her Science diet , which only has a rating of 3. Changed her to Wellness Core which has a 5 rating. Where I get her food they said they will not carry Science diet anymore. We have no fleas here in Alaska. Thank You.