Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian

Candid is a terrier whopper cross she is about 14 years

Customer Question

Hi candid is a terrier whopper cross she is about 14 years old and has been shaking uncontrollably for the past couple of hours and panting at times as well should I take her to emergency vet tonight
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the terrier's name?
Customer: Sorry ment terrier whippet cross
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the terrier?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** has been off her usual food for a couple of days but I managed to get her to eat some tuna today and she is turning her nose away from her water bowl as well when she is panting
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. It sounds like Candis has a poor appetite and minimal water consumption and has been shaking today.Shaking and panting can be signs of fear, but with her other symptoms I suspect that this is her way of telling you she feels poorly and weak.Dogs that refuse to eat and drink usually do so because they feel nauseous. I know you were trying to help but feeding an unfamiliar food like tuna may have further upset her stomach, making her feel worse leading her to pant and shake. Lack of an appetite and nausea can be related to eating something she should not have, too many treats or table food, eating foreign material (which could cause a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction), chronic pancreatitis, metabolic organ failure (kidney or liver disease), a dietary allergy or sensitivity, toxin exposure, a viral or bacterial infection, Addison's disease (hypoadrenocorticism), inflammatory bowel disease, or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.If she continues to not eat normally and isn't drinking well since this has been going on for a couple of days she will quickly become dehydrated and weak.Ideally she would see her veterinarian today if this has continued for more than 72 hours. Simple stomach upset should pass within 24 to 48 hours. They could examine her, run blood tests and possibly check radiographs and/or an ultrasound to evaluate her and know best how to treat her. In the meantime they can administer injectable anti-nausea drugs and fluids to rehydrate her.I understand being evaluated by her veterinarian could be hard because it is evening where you are, so I can give you some suggestions to try and help her until tomorrow.At home tonight to try and settle her stomach you can give either:1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 kilos of body weight every 12 hoursOR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 5 to 10 kilos of body weight every 24 hoursThese are acid reducers and may help her feel less nauseous so that she will eat and drink. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary. A couple of hours after giving the acid reducer I recommend offering meat baby foods or a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow and get some fluids into her.If she continues to not eat she should see her veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics and intravenous fluids and supportive care in the morning.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****