Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog swallowed a 300mg pill of gabapentin JA: I'm sorry

Customer Question

my dog swallowed a 300mg pill of gabapentin
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: casey jones he is 12 or 13
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Casey Jones?
Customer: he is 35 lb cocker spaniel
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I might dose a 35 lb dog with up to 10 mg/lb of gabapentin or 350 mg for Casey Jones. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. You're likely to see sedation and ataxia ("drunken sailor") but he wasn't intoxicated or harmed.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.