PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

She liked a very tiny amount of mead off my finger. She's a

Customer Question

She liked a very tiny amount of mead off my finger. She's a 7lb papillon. Seems to be excessively panting now
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: She is panting really hard and can't seem to get calm. She licked a little bit of mead off my finger after I dipped it in my cup.
JA: The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sunshine. It was viking blod mead, honey wine
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sunshine?
Customer: Shes a 7lb papillon
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) How long ago was this consumed? 2) Any vomiting? 3) Is she able to walk in a coordinated manner despite the ingestion?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
About 45 mins ago. She's laying down with some slight panting. No vomiting. She can walk fine but her tail is down and she's ignored some commands which she never does unless she's feeling weird.
She's likely suffering both the effects of the alcohol and the high sugar content in the mead. Most meads are between 50 and 80% sugar because of the honey content. This will likely wear off with time, but if she show more concerning symptoms this evening I would urge you to take her to the ER for monitoring. Alcohol ingestion can be life-threatening for dogs. Luckily for her, I don't think she's consumed enough to cause major damage but this should be avoided in the future, if at all possible. Thankfully she only had a small amount this evening. More info here: http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/alcohol/ Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, I will not be compensated for helping you today.
Hi, JACustomer. Checking in to see how Sunshine is feeling.