Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a red kelpie and when he is working in the shearing

Customer Question

I have a red kelpie and when he is working in the shearing shed his eyes fully dilate and he goes a bit blind but when not working he is normal.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Red is his name and he is only 3. Does adrenaline cause temporary blindness?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Name?
Customer: What about the name. Can adrenaline cause blindness
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. In regards ***** ***** question, adrenaline won't cause actual blindness. That said, what it can do is cause dilation of the pupils leading to increased light being allowed into the eye. And if the amount of light he is then getting is too much, this can cause compromise in vision (blurring, reduction, etc) until the adrenaline wears off and the pupils regain normal dilation function. So, it is quite possible that the excitement/stress is triggering the dilation and that increased light is affecting his vision but it won't cause actual blindness in the traditional sense. Though if there is an underlying issue within the eye (ie retinal disease, uveitis, etc), then it is quite possible we could see temporary loss of sight in these cases.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet