Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My name is***** have a 5 year old Dachshund, ***** *****

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** have a 5 year old Dachshund, ***** ***** mix. She hurt her back sunday night. Took her to Bandfield Vet. Service ing her in she lost Monday morning. They said she slipped her disc in lower back. Before taking her in she lost using her rear legs. They put her on pain, anti flam,and muscle relaxers. She has spells where it have bad pain and times where shes just fine. They said the only Nuro. is 2.5 hrs away. Does this usually happen or should I take her to Nuro at Duke Un.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No she has slipped disc
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about ***** *****?
Customer: she weigh around 17 lbs. She can pee and poop on her own. She will not let you move her or she will not move. When she does it hurts her really bad
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 months ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I'm so sorry to hear that your dog has a disc injury. An intervertebral disc that has slipped or ruptured up into the spinal canal causes inflammation of the spinal cord, which in severe cases causes paralyses of the rear legs. So it is not unusual for a dog to loose the use of their rear legs. You can read about this here:http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-cervical-area/page1.aspx The vet did prescribe the correect meds but they should have also recommended strict crating to keep her inactive for at least a week or more. This gives the injury time to heal a bit before running around, jumping, etc. The antiinflammatory and pain meds allow her to move more normally and thus a reinjury can occur quick easily. Keeping her inactive helps prevent that. The only time I would allow her out is on a leash to eliminate. If you have stairs, make a ramp that she can go up and down so she doesn't have to jump up stairs or be picked up which can also put strain on the back if not done correctly. After a week I'd reevaluate her to see if she is moving more normally. She is pretty young so it may be an injury but the breeds are prone to ivdd (which is a degenerative disc disease. Disc issues are best addressed early to help a dog regain or keep mobility longer. Read more on this here:http://users.cyberport.net/~milnerwm/fastfacts.html I'd personally elect to see the neurologist as he is used to dealing with ivdd and evaluating how far the disease has progressed and the best course of treatment. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?