Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

I have a 8yr old Wheaton Terrier and in the last year her genetile

Customer Question

I have a 8yr old Wheaton Terrier and in the last year her genetile area has turned black. Is it a worry or normal.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the Wheaton Terrier?
Customer: t
JA: Huh?
Customer: The small sack on her genitile is black. Is it a worry?
JA: Where does the Wheaton Terrier seem to hurt?
Customer: She does not hurt
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Wheaton Terrier?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Wheaton terrier. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Does she lick at her vulva (opening to the vagina) much? Sometimes when skin turns black, it is from a yeast infection. Yeast infections are usually a consequences of an allergy, or frequent licking. Does it bother her? Can you post a picture of this?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She licks it quite often.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She licks it quite often
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
She may have a "recessed vulva" where there are skin folds that surround and fold over the vulva. This can cause urine to pool around the vulva, and then the dog licks it a lot and than can cause the skin to eventually turn black. Sometimes we do surgery for these dogs to remove the excess skin. Before going to that length, you can try applying anti inflammatory and anti yeast ointments to the area. The best thing to do is have a veterinarian look at it to see if this is her problem, and supply prescription medication. You can try applying Cortaid or Cortizone 10 to reduce inflammation, and topical ointment containing miconazole to see if that helps.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
Can I help with or answer anything else? Was this helpful?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
How is your dog doing?