PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

He is chewing his back I think; he is missing hair? JA:

Customer Question

He is chewing his back I think; he is missing hair?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He will be a year in August and Winchester
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Nope; unless the vet knows how to keep him from tearing up my house while I'm at work? Ha
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 10 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) What symptoms are you seeing? 2) Where is the hair loss?3) Any scratching? 4) Is he an inside dog only? Inside-outside? Outside only?5) When did this begin? 6) Any pictures to share?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The hair loss is on his back near his tail? I can take pictures and he is an inside dog that only goes out when he goes potty or plays on the chain. Unless he runs out the door and I have to chase him. We noticed it this week. He does scratch but chews we've been stopping him every chance we see
Pictures would be great. What flea/tick prevention are you using on him? How often is it applied?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Here are the pictures
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We haven't; we just bathe him. Once a week.... In August I'll be buying the collar
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That last 6months to a year
The pictures are suggestive that he's already battling a flea infestation. The typical months for this to be at its worst are March to October. I would recommend expediting the application of something, even if it's not a saresto collar (which are awesome) or you may be still battling the same infestation this time next year. There are a lot of products on the market. Because you bathe him, I would recommend using something like frontline that cannot be washed off with the application of soap and water. Medications like advantix and advantage are easily removed with soap and water. More info here: http://www.petmd.com/dog/care/evr_dg_fleas_on_dogs_and_what_you_can_do_about_them Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, I will not be compensated for helping you today.
Checking in, JACustomer. How is Winchester doing?