Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My 11yo Maltese has been bloated since Friday night. We took

Customer Question

My 11yo Maltese has been bloated since Friday night. We took him to the vet on Saturday and they couldn't find anything wrong and gave us a medication to ease his stomach issues. He hasn't tried to vomit at all, still drinks water, eats a little bit (not as much as usual) and is overall lethargic.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: There has been no blood in his stools, sometimes it has a little more mucous than normal, otherwise it is okay.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. Can you tell me if any diagnostics - blood, urine, fecal testing; X-rays or ultrasound of his abdomen were performed on Saturday? My initial concern would be if his bloating were due to excessive gas in his gastrointestinal tract or, instead, an abdominal effusion - a collection of fluid in his abdominal cavity.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?