Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

I have a pitbull who has a new litter of pups and she's got

Customer Question

I have a pitbull who has a new litter of pups and she's got like these bumps under her chin and now at the side of her one side of her mouth and it seems to be very irritating to her. Also I can't tell if maybe on the upper inside of her lip looks red 2
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: She just has all those bumps under her chin and up the side of her jaw. It's also red underneath her lip wondering if she could have something like thrush maybe I don't know
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Baby
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Baby?
Customer: No she seems to be pretty healthy otherwise her puppies she is very attentive to and this is the first time I've ever been around puppies all my dogs have always been fixed.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 5 months ago.
Hi Jacustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. There are a few things this could be. Usually sores like you are describing on the chin are due to a condition called folliculitis (inflammation of the hair follicles). This is generally seen in dogs that are susceptible to staph infections, have mites, or are allergic to plastic or other feeding bowls that the chin comes into contact with. Your Vet will need to do a skin scrapping and examine it to determine if it is due to mites or a bacterial organism. Depending on the results your Vet will prescribe medication and/or recommend switching to stainless steel feeding bowls. You can read about this here: I am leaning toward an allergic reaction though. Dogs nursing pups can have a lowered immune system response due to the load on their system, so they may have a response to things they didn't before. If you have changed her food look for ingredients that are different then her previous food and switch to a more compatible food. you can use benzoid peroxide (acne) wipes on the mouth. Eliminating the allergen is the quickest way to correct this. You can also ask your vet if he has any medication to help with allergies that is good to give to a nursing mom. Otherwise, you will need to wait until the pups are weaned to treat with benadryl. Generally benadryl is very safe, but your vet will need to give you the ok to use that to help control the symptoms. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?