Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have two boxers that got into welbutrin 300mg as well as

Customer Question

I have two boxers that got into welbutrin 300mg as well as Valtrex 500mg tablets while I was outside. I am not sure how much they each got....
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: should i take them to the vet and have them make them vomit?
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: It was a mess. Pills all over the kitchen
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: I have two boxers. 10 months old each. My male weighs about 65 lbs and the female probably 55
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Berkley and Cambria
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Berkley?
Customer: No, he is just big but healthy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
When an unknown amount of a potentially harmful prescription drug is ingested, it's prudent to induce emesis as long as my patient isn't already symptomatic. This is done by giving each of your dogs 45 mL (3 measuring tablespoons) of 3% hydrogen peroxide by means of a small poultry baster placed between their cheek teeth and cheek. They should vomit within 15 minutes. If not the same dose should be repeated. If you prefer, their vet can induce vomiting with an injection of apomorphine. Having the vet attend to them also allows observation for a number of hours afterward during which supportive and symptomatic care might be administered if need be. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.