Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

We caught her eating grubs. after that she started to get

Customer Question

we caught her eating grubs. after that she started to get sick. she threw up a lot it's yellowish and also diaria which is also yellowish. she hasn't eaten in 5 days , very little water. her stomach is swollen she got very aggesive withme the other day. she bit me very badly and i went to the doctor and had antibioics. she's a lab and has never done that before, i'm afraid she got some parasites from the grubs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: she just lays there with a far off stare most of the day
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry to hear of this with your dog. Her "swollen stomach" is likely to be effusive - fluid is filling the space inside her abdomen. This occurs mainly due to right-sided heart failure, a lack of the small protein albumin in her blood stream, or inflammation in her abdominal cavity due to neoplasia (cancer) or infection. Her 5 days of anorexia, gastrointestinal distress as evidenced by vomiting and diarrhea, and a change in mental status (staring and becoming aggressive) suggests a poorly functioning liver which is now intoxicating her brain. Her vet will want to thoroughly examine your dog including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. Unfortunately, effusions in the abdomen - whatever the cause - always indicate serious disease. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.