Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dog vomited bile last night and had very watery liquid poopthat

Customer Question

Dog vomited bile last night and had very watery liquid poopthat smelled like ammonia . Dog seems fine this morning so I gave him plain rice. He's a 13year old 15 lb yourkie
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Niko
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Niko?
Customer: At age 2 he did have pancreatitis
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. What color was the diarrhea? Any blood? Can he keep water down?Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Really looked like maroon water. He drank tons of water. I'm a hygienist so
I checked his gums- healthy and pink. No discomfort he went for his walk this morning. I gave him 2 tablespoons of plain white rice and 5 mg of Pepcid 1 hour ago. He by his food dish wanting more but I didn't give him any.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Waiting
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your patience (as you see I had quite a bit to type), First, I am glad to hear that he has lovely pink gums despite this maroon colored diarrhea. This at least tells us that we don't have severe internal bleeding causing anemia here. Now you did well to start Pepcid and hopefully we will see him settle in the next few hours. Just to note, for Niko's size, he can have up to 7.5mg (so another half tablet) every 12 hours if needed.Otherwise, after giving him 30 minutes to see if he can keep the rice down, you can give a bit more. As well, you can add a protein source to this like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). Further to this, we'd also want to slow that diarrhea for him. So, as long as there is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI. Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger this GI upset we are seeing from bacterial or viral gastroenteritis to pancreatitis or IBD, dietary indiscretions and even tumors at his age. Therefore, we’d want to continue the supportive care you have started. Though if you do so and he isn't settling in the next few hours (since he is small/elderly and thus a high risk for dehydration); then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, check bloods to ensure his organs are working as they should, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication, gastroprotectants, fluids, +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself. Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can he take a Pepto-Bismol tablet for the diarrhea ? I also have canned pumpkin. I have already left message for his Vet. They aren't open yet. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hi again,Canned pumpkin can be added to the food to help bulk up stools. Otherwise, while Pepto Bismol can be used but isn't advisable if we have stomach upset too. The aspirin like compounds can irritate the stomach lining and can increase nausea and vomiting. So, this others would be safer options for Niko.All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you so much
Trisha and Niko
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
You are very welcome, Trisha. :)Best wishes to you both,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )