Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Pearl. How do I tell if my dog is in pain? He is 15, has

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. How do I tell if my dog is in pain? He is 15, has lost all his hair, shivers when he exhales, is losing control of his hind legs, has slowed down significantly and moans when he needs something that we can usually figure out what it is he wants. He has Cushing disease. We know we have to let him go soon and if i thought he is in pain it would be now. yet, he still eats well and likes to be chased - though is it slow now and he loses control of his legs and goes splat on his tummy - but gets back up and continues the game!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: that has nothing to do with this situation!
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Charlie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlie?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) Does Charlie have any difficulty getting up from a resting position? 2) Do you ever see limping? Hesitation to jump? 3) Any vocalizing and refusal to move? 4) Does he seem slower or like he moans or shivers more the day following a game of chase?