Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

He's a 7 year old beagle, no health problems. But we came home

Customer Question

He's a 7 year old beagle, no health problems. But we came home to find he had eaten about 2 ounces of vaseline out of a jar. Should I panic about this, what should I do to help him...or what could happen with him?
JA: OK. What is the beagle's name?
Customer: Casie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Casie?
Customer: As I said he has no other health problems, so I don't think there's anything else
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 months ago.
Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. Two ounces may cause diarrhea. Vaseline is a lubricant and is commonly used to treat hairballs in cats.If he does get diarrhea withhold food for 12 hours to let his gastrointestinal tract rest. Then offer him plain cooked chicken and rice which is easier to digest than dog food.If he is perfectly normal 48 hours from now then he is probably not going to have diarrhea from it.Feed him and exercise him as usual.Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby