Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog threw up mucus and it had a bunch of tinny little blood

Customer Question

My dog threw up mucus and it had a bunch of tinny little blood clots in it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: I don't think so he ate cat poop in the yard yesterday then threw up his food 1/2 hour latter and I also sprayed some ant poison yesterday but I kept him out of it
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 12 months koda
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Koda
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kola?
Customer: I don't think so he seams fine
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long ago did this happen? Was it just once?While you thankfully kept him away, what ant poison ingredient was in what you sprayed?Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?Has he had any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't think he has had diarrhea. I will check the other thing
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I pressed on his stomach no pain his gum have som pink mostly dark colored he's a husky shepered mix
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
I am glad to hear that they are and I will keep my eyes peeled for your reply on the ingredients on that any spray.Dr. B.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Bifenthrin
Zeta-cypermethrin
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I sprayed the ant spray last night more then 12 hours ago
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** you for checking that for me. While those are dangerous for dogs, it'd not cause what we are seeing here (both tend to cause tremors, wobbliness, and seizures when ingested). So, the spray is likely innocent on this occasion. That aside, I am glad that his gums are normal colored for him. This is quite important when we see blood clots, since it tells us that there isn’t a likely severe internal bleed present. That said, we do need to tread with care here since this clotted blood could just be secondary to the force of vomiting potentially caused by GI upset from eating cat feces or a brewing gut infection; but it could also be secondary to a stomach ulcer, toxin ingestion or traumatic stomach damage from the ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items). With this all in mind, as long as he can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be:Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet. Once that has had time to absorb and he is steadier on his stomach, you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet. Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing. The ant spray sounds less of an issue here but we do need to be careful when we see a bit of blood. Therefore, in his case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. If he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, we see any more blood, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication, gastroprotectants to coat the stomach/throat +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself. Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.