Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

He is a 7 year old shitzu he is shaking and not really moving.

Customer Question

He is a 7 year old shitzu he is shaking and not really moving. He peed, pooped and ate this morning. He has been like this since last night
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Dempsey
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dempsey?
Customer: He was groomed yesterday and I gave him heart worm medicine
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 months ago.
hello and thank you for using this site to help you. When you took him out to potty this morning was he walking slowly? Was there any arch in the back?What color are his gums?If you press and release a finger on the gums the area will blanch, how long in seconds does it take to go back to the color it was ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He was walking slowly with his tail down. He won't let me touch his gums
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When he was done with his business he sat down and I had to carry him in
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for that information. There are two things that I a am thinking of that effects the smaller breeds. One would be the anal glands as dogs will often keep their tail down with this. So if the stool is a bit softer than normal then the glands can fill up and become painful.the other thing I would be concerned about is the discs in the back. Smaller dogs can get intervertabral disc disease which effects movement. for this you want to keep the dog well rested. You can give a baby aspirin and see if that helps but before doing this the gums should be nice and pink. If they are pale or white seek emergency care.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 months ago.
If the dog suddenly starts to drag the back legs it is an emergency. Keep him off of furniture and on his bed on the floor because if it is a disc you don't want it to rupture from jumping off furniture. Even if the dog is displaying that he is able to move better once the aspirin is given.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He does have issues with his anal glands. Can this wait until tomorrow or should I bring him to emergency
Expert:  Sally G. replied 7 months ago.
You can keep an eye on him unless the anal glands have a hole in them then I would seek emergency care.