Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

13 pound Pomeranian with no symptoms other than liver enzymes.

Customer Question

13 pound Pomeranian with no symptoms other than liver enzymes. Vet sent for ultra sound, a two inch tumor internal to liver was found. Did not biopsy because of bleeding risk. Recommendation of vet and specialists was to let her live out her life until quality of life deteriorates How can this dog show no other symptoms yet despite 2 inch tumor inside liver.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Missie and she is 13 and a half years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Missie?
Customer: Has trachea issues but not life threatening. Used to suffer from IBD but resolved after 6 months on budesonide. Seems happy, coat not a shiny and a good deal of muscle mass loss, which I attribute to age
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. Most likely your vet is not that worried about these masses because they do not appear invasive. Biopsies in the liver can be risky for older dogs so this decision is certainly valid. I would ask, how ever, that an Ultrasound be repeated every 1-2 months to follow this mass to determine if this invasive which may mean that it is malignant or it remains the same which may mean that the mass is benign. We do know, since the liver enzymes are elevated, that the liver is struggling but it is hard to know if this is due to the mass or degeneration due to age. Your vet will also repeat the liver enzymes ot follow the mass and its effect on the liver. Missie will do well as long as the proper treatment is given for liver disease and if your vet will follow this, it will give you a better idea of how sweet Missie is doing. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Hi Charles,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta