Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

She has brownish urine discharge. She has the back problem

Customer Question

she has brownish urine discharge. She has the back problem that has led to loss of use of her back legs. She was given carprofen 25mg for inflamation to be given 1once a day for 7 days and tramadol 50 mg for pain
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wounds RW VISABLE
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bonnie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bonnie?
Customer: She is eleven years old
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry to hear of this with Bonnie. It sounds as if she has developed a bacterial urinary tract infection common in paralyzed dogs and people. The brownish urine indicates degraded blood. Bonnie is going to need a course of antibiotics and her urine will need to be rechecked 2 days after the course is completed to make sure that her urinary tract has been sterilized. Then regular checks of her urine should be scheduled because relapses are very common in these patients. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.