Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Big hole in rear molar,dog won't eat-what can I give her til

Customer Question

big hole in rear molar,dog won't eat-what can I give her til we see the vet monday
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: sophie-4 yr old doberman
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sophie?
Customer: she had toe removed in Jan,cancer, got it all but came home with a staff and a strep infection inthe leg at point of surgery
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: been to 3 vets to try & heal it,taking baytril and amox and toe sore is healing but won't eat now-just noticed the huge hole in the molar
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
You're necessarily constrained to aspirin dosed at 10 mg/lb with food twice daily or acetaminophen dosed at 7 mg/lb thrice daily. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen. The antibiotics Sophie is on will work in the mouth as well. Don't feed Sophie after midnight Sunday. She's likely to be anesthetized Monday to have that molar extracted. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?