PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog has a high white blood count, anemia and a fever. She

Customer Question

My dog has a high white blood count, anemia and a fever. She is a 12 year old border collie mix.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Border collie's name?
Customer: Kylie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kylie?
Customer: She has pretty bad arthritis on her hips and has had 2 knee replacements. She is currently taking Derramax
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. How can I best help you today? Do you have questions about the anemia? Did your vet provide a diagnosis you'd like to discuss?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm concerned about my 12 year old golden Pitt mix name Kylie. She has high wbc and anemia. At one point her blood sugar was low but it was normal today.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She's also lethargic and kinda a picky eater. Her tails still wagging though
Thanks for your response. Do you happen to have a copy of the blood work to share so that I may see what her values look like? Has your vet discussed the necessity for antibiotic therapy? A blood transfusion? Is she eating still? If not, when was her last regular meal?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Unfortunately I don't have them. We started her on antibiotics today.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She is eating but we have to fancy her meals up
It will take a few days before she will begin feeling feeling better after starting the antibiotics. During this time, you'll likely need to keep enticing her to eat. If you'll share with me what is working for her now, I may be able to provide some different ideas on how to keep fancying up her meals so that she continues to eat until the antibiotics are making her feel better.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What could be causing this?
There are actually quite a few things that can cause a high WBC count. Sometimes we never know what causes it. Abscesses, infections such as those afflicting the kidneys or bladder, skin infections, respiratory/sinus infections, GI problems like a salmonella or E. coli infection, etc. The anemia could potentially be a secondary concern due to the high WBC count. Bully breed dogs are predisposed to an autoimmune concern called Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia. Often, we see an improvement in symptoms by treating the initial concern.
Checking in to see how Miss Kylie is doing today.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy