Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

He is 5lb chi pom, got my sandwich which had onions in it on

Customer Question

He is 5lb chi pom, got my sandwich which had onions in it on monday. Yesterday he threw up his breakfast, seemed ok when i got home. Ate his dinner no throw up. This morning wont eat his food but does want mine. Seems lethargic also
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: My sister thinks he is peeing more than usual, he seems to pee normally when he is with me though
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
The onions aren't likely the problem. Dogs have to ingest at least 5 grams/kg (1/3 of an ounce of onions for your dog) to develop onion toxicosis which consists of an anemia 2-5 days after ingestion. Instead, ingesting such an unfamiliar combination of foods in your sandwich is likely to have caused gastrointestinal distress as evidenced by his vomiting, inappetence, and lethargy. I would treat him in a conservative manner - withhold food for 12 hours in order to rest his GI tract - and then reintroduce his regular food. Don't let him convince you to feed him people food again! Tough love is necessary to get him re-regulated. If he remains anorexic, his vet will want to thoroughly examine him particularly if he's an older dog. Diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests might be suggested in that case.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?