PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My dog has cataracts in one eye - she is a escue and I adopted

Customer Question

My dog has cataracts in one eye - she is a escue and I adopted her this way a year or so ago - i had her checked and am saving money for her surgery. Recently I noticed the same eye very red. On top of that last week we were playing ball and it went right into her bad eye. Last night i noticed the same eye is now enlarged the eyeball is swollen and she is uncomfortable - what could it be???
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Molly is about 5 and a Cocker Spaniel
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Molly?
Customer: She still has a lot of energy and plays normally but I believe she is hiding pain or discomfort on the eye
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can. Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I am very worried
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 5 months ago.
What seems to be the problem area? Is the pink part swollen (the conjunctiva)? Is the white part red? Is your dog pawing at the eye?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No pawing - the white part is red - the whole eye ball is swollen
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 5 months ago.
I see. This sounds like we have some pretty significant conjunctivitis. This could be related to infection or due to allergies or a physical injury such as a corneal ulcer. Are you able to get to a vet today? One thing you can do first is give benadryl (1mg per pound of body weight every 8 hours) to help. Your vet can stain the eye to look for any ulcers on the eye and check for dry eye. This is most likely not related to a cataract in the eye.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 5 months ago.
Does all of this make sense?Is there anything else I can help you with?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The swollen eye ball
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 5 months ago.
I see. This appears more like possible glaucoma. If you have not already taken your dog to the vet I would as soon as possible to have eye pressures checked. If it is glaucoma, typically topical drops are done to treat this. If there is a mass or abscess behind the eye then surgery would be the next step. Regardless, I highly recommend a vet visit as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Any feedback?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 5 months ago.
I am going to opt out so another expert can help you further.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.
JACustomer, did you have additional questions regarding the symptoms with your pet's eye?