PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

We recently lost a puppy to parvo. I have used bleach on all

Customer Question

We recently lost a puppy to parvo. I have used bleach on all surfaces that I can and on our yard. I have also washed all linens in hot water with bleach. What is the best way to disinfect carpet and rugs? What about disinfecting the crate? Is it safe to reuse when we eventually get a new puppy?
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) Have you also washed toys? Food bowls? etc.2) What type of carpet and rugs do you have? Are these mobile where you can wash them or installed as flooring? 3) What variety of kennel? Wire or plastic? 4) Can you tell me a little about the puppy that you lost? Where did you acquire him? Who administered the puppy vaccines and when? I'm very sorry to hear of your loss, but hope to be able to assist you in knowing how to best address this.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I soaked the bowls in hot bleach water and ran them through the dishwasher in the sanitizer mode. I threw away her bed and all toys. The crate is wire with a removable plastic bottom. I have washed it with hot bleach water as well. The carpet is installed carpet. Yes, the rugs a removable. I used bleach water on our yard and patio. She was an 11 week old labradoodle. She had two rounds of shots. The first round from the breeder's vet and at 10 weeks from our vet. 8 days before getting sick, she broke her leg playing with my daughter, so I'm assuming she contracted the virus from the emergency pet clinic we took her to since the accident happened on a Sunday afternoon. We bought her from a reputable breeder.
Thank you for the additional information. It will take me 10-20 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how I will be compensated for my time.
I want to issue a warning right off that although you're doing all that you can, you're not going to be able to entirely rid your future companion of the risk of parvo. The virus is very hardy and can remains in the environment for up to 10 years following the initial onset in one dog. Studies have shown that using bleach in the back yard does not do much good. One thing that you can do is pick up all stool that was in the yard and remove it from the premises. It can help greatly to clean surfaces within the home. It's likely that the best approach is going to be by adopting a puppy that is slightly older and has already finished the booster series (4-6 months of age or older). An adult dog or puppy who has already had and recovered from parvo will give you the greatest chance of not having to deal with parvo again. So long as the carpeting can be placed into the washer or dipped into a bleach solution, you should be able to go ahead and sanitize it. However, just spraying the bleach solution onto existing carpet is unlikely to rid it completely of the virus...although it certainly won't hurt to try. The wire kennel should still be able to be used. You can spray it down with the bleach solution, as well, and let it air dry. I would also take measures to bleach the bottom of every set of shoes in your home. It's been my experience that most people fail to do this, so they continue tracking parvo through their home, car, yard, etc. And then, of course, all of the risk associated with parvo returns. Having said all that, I feel the risk of parvo is imminent with puppies. I've, personally, dealt with parvo in a similar manner in my home since 2006 when I adopted my first puppy. He had it and 2 years later, despite efforts very similar to yours, an 8 month old puppy with all of his vaccines still developed it. Instead of taking an approach of trying to clean all the surfaces inside and outside, I simply increased how careful I was with removing my shoes when I came home from a petstore, I avoided taking my dogs with me when I picked up their food, etc. Since then, I have not had any more parvo cases diagnosed. What's more, I increased my effort in being watchful and at the first sign of fever, vomiting, diarrhea, inappetence, etc. I had my dogs seen. We've yet to lose one to parvo, because of this. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, I will not be compensated for helping you today.
Checking in to see if there are any other questions I can answer for you on this topic.