Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

May not be anything but her tail looks swollen from the base

Customer Question

May not be anything but her tail looks swollen from the base to only halfway down...she tried eating grass last night ..could it be infection from.fleas?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Maizy, she is a rescued mutt looks like beagle Pitt bull with bull dog underbo
JA: How old is Pitt?
Customer: Underbite....I need to take her for flea dip at vet this week
JA: I can help you talk to the doctor. Thanks for coming to JustAnswer. How can we help?
Customer: Her tail doesn't look right, I know of no injury
JA: OK. The doctor will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the doctor can help you best.
Customer: He
JA: Is there anything else the doctor should be aware of?
Customer: Her tail is swollen from base to about only halfway....she is overdue for shots...and has been trying to eat grass ...her stool is a little runny
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) What product are you using for fleas?2) When was her last flea dip?3) What protocol are you using to prevent fleas? 4) Any licking, chewing or scooting behaviors seen at home? 5) Has she had past problems with fleas? 6) Any other pertinent medical history?