Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My cockapoo is 15 1/2 yrs, already deaf and mostly blind was

Customer Question

My cockapoo is 15 1/2 yrs, already deaf and mostly blind was diagnosed with diabetes mellitis. It has been 2 1/2 monthes and we still can't control it. He got really confused seemingly from dementia. When he didn't even know himself, I almost put him down. he's had a good 3 wks in that he has pep in his step and interest in smells on his walk again. It has been a rollercoaster and hard. I'm wondering if I am being cruel, and selfish. Should I ley him go?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Are you asking me? He is covered with old age bumps, has been forever, so he does chew on some occasionally. His white fur gets stained.
JA: No. I'm the Veterinarian's Assistant. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Oliver
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oliver?
Customer: he was diagnosed with level 2-3 heart murmer/congestive heart failure 1 yr ago. So he will have heat intolerance issues if the weather ever gets warm. And being totally deaf and blind now. Getting stuck in corners etc. I don't dare leave him alone for more than a few minutes.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience. I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular concern and I am confident that I can help you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) How often are the good weeks and how often are the bad weeks? 2) Is he still enjoying parts of his good days? 3) How is he eating and drinking for you?