Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My male dog keeps dripping urine after peeing! He's been on

Customer Question

My male dog keeps dripping urine after peeing! He's been on medication for a month and is still leaking everywhere!
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: They say he has a bladder infection, did X-rays no stones. The leaking is brownish yellow sometimes looks like blood in it!
JA: There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** is 10 years old!
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hunter?
Customer: Hunter is on thyroid medication for his hair gets really thin and falls out, and also had some golf ball size lumps on his body but the vet says it's just fatty tissue!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 7 months ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible.....Has he been on the same medication for that month?Do you know if they did a culture and sensitivity on the urine sample?Is he neutered?How is he acting otherwise?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes same medication! I know we brought in a urine sample but not sure what they did with it! Yes he is neutered and otherwise acts fine!
Expert:  Lisa replied 7 months ago.
Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.The first thing I would do is ask your vet if they've done the C&S (culture and sensitivity). This is where your vet will spread a sample of his urine over 2 agar plates and then drop little antibiotic discs on the plates. They cook the plates in a heated box for at least 24 hours and then measure the kill zone around each of the discs...this tells them which antibiotic will work best to clear up the infection. It could be that the antibiotics that they've been trying simply isn't the right drug to get the job done. It could also be that your boy needs a higher dose of the drugs. The fact that his symptoms don't seem to go away at all makes me wonder if they're just not using the right combination of things. I've seen dogs with chronic UTI's be on courses of medications that lasted a month, because that's how long it took to get it cleared up. Something else you might want to consider would be adding a supplement aimed at urinary tract health to his diet. Cranberry could be a good supplement to add to your pup's regimen, but I would absolutely talk to your vet about it first. I have a maltipoo who has some urinary issues and he gets two 1500mg soft gels daily of cranberry. It really does seem to have helped.Finally, if your vet can't get this cleared up for her, you might want to ask about a referral to a veterinary urologist. Although most general practice vets are very, very good at what they do, there sometimes comes along a case that needs a specialist who only deals with that particular body part and may be able to find something that a different vet didn't see.I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I cannot afford the additional cost! I thought it was $5.00. The medication is $200.00 dollars every 2 weeks!
Expert:  Lisa replied 7 months ago.
I understand that you(like so many other people) are in a hard financial spot right now. There are some organizations that might be able to help. If you'll follow these links: http://www.speakingforspot.com/helppayingforveterinarycare.html , http://www.theamericandogmag.com/non-profit/resources-veterinary-bills-financial-assistance, you'll find dozens and dozens of organizations that may be able to help pay for you to take your dog to the vet. Also, there are some clinics who offer free exams and other treatments and require that you only pay for medications. If you'll follow this link: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer , you can see if there is one in your area.