Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I was just kicked off after sending my last question so I don't

Customer Question

I was just kicked off after sending my last question so I don't know if anyone got it. My Chihuahua is in pain after a procedure today and she cannot calm down. She won't eat or drink, and she only has Rimadyl and Amoxycillin from the vet. I don't know if I can - or what I can - give her to relax and get some pain relief.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Once Rimadyl is administered another nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (aspirin, e.g.) shouldn't be administered. You can repeat the Rimadyl at 12 hour intervals if you've been dosing at 1 mg/lb. If you've dosed at 2 mg/lb it shouldn't be repeated for 24 hours. You must avoid both ibuprofen and naproxen which are toxic to dogs. You can add acetaminophen (Tylenol, e.g.) at a dose of 7 mg/lb thrice daily and if you happen to have a narcotic at home for Josie (tramadol, e.g.) or a human one I might be able to give you a dose for those drugs. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks but I stayed awake till
830am this morning for a reply (and Jozze couldn't sleep anyway) but our vet finally opened and I just picked up the Tramadol a few minutes ago.
I understand. I'm pleased to hear that tramadol was prescribed.You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. I would rather not be charged as if I knew I would be hearing after my vet opened for the day, I wouldn't have pursued this site.
Please contact***@******.*** who will attend to your concerns.