Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

My 19 lb york chon ate 3-4 pieces of chocolate exlax sometime

Customer Question

My 19 lb york chon ate 3-4 pieces of chocolate exlax sometime between 8 am and 4 pm today. He seemed himself when I got home. However, when we came in from his playtime outside I noticed my upturned garbage can. I said his name and he went to his cage as he knows he's in trouble... I just read what Dr. Fiona recommended for a poodle owner (peroxide to induce vomiting). Should I do that since I don't know how long ago he ate it?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if And will be able to digest that. How old is And?
Customer: 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about And?
Customer: he takes Temaril-P 2x daily and eats ultamino food for skin allergies
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.I'm sorry that your dog decided to raid the garbage and ingest this product. I suppose it could have been worse, though. If you're concerned about the chocolate, you don't have to be since these products don't contain enough to be an issue. Since so much time has passed, it won't be productive to induce vomiting at this point. Fortunately, Ex-lax wouldn't be considered toxic for your dog but the active ingredient can take up to 8 hours or so to have an effect. Therefore, there may be a delay in development of diarrhea...the most commonly seen symptom after ingestion of these products.I generally recommend a more or less "wait and see" approach on these patients since it amazes me how many dogs manage not to have much in the way of any gastrointestinal distress from these laxatives. Should diarrhea develop, you could feed a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for a day or so but the stools should return to normal within a day or so. I hope this helps to provide reassurance about him. Deb Should diarrhea