Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My dog is now weeks on fluoxetine, it really works,

Customer Question

My dog is now for two weeks on fluoxetine, it really works, but i don't like the side effects it has. He doesn't eat, only when we coach him, he sleeps the whole day, no energy! i am ready to take him off it right now! He is taking 20mg a day, but it does him no good! He doesn't wanna walk, he is not himself anymore! His behavior is much better, but when i walk him, its stop and go!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Brody! We adopted him about 6 weeks ago from a schnauzer rescue organization in NJ! He is 6 1/2 years now, a beautiful boy!
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Brody?
Customer: Not really, because he had all his shot! He is as healthy as a 6 1/2 year old boy!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 7 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Brody has not been himself on the medication that your veterinarian prescribed. I'll do my best to help. Decreased appetite and lethargy can be side effects of the fluoxetine - they are the most common ones that I see. In some cases it's severe enough that we either decrease the dose or wean the pet off the fluoxetine in order to try a different medication. The dose of fluoxetine used for treating behavioral issues is 1-2 mg per kilogram of body weight daily, so something we are able to decrease the dose. If the dose is already low or the side effects don't go away with a reduced dose or are quite severe, that's when I wean my patients off and try a different medication. I don't know what his his behavioral issue was to start with, but many behavioral problems in dogs can be alleviated by working closely with an experienced trainer, negating the need for medications. I caution you not to change his medication dose or frequency until you speak to his vet.Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)