Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

My dog is approximately 15 years. And about 8 lbs. all our

Customer Question

My dog is approximately 15 years. And about 8 lbs. all our pets have made it to around 15-16, our first dog started panting and then had a cease put. Of to the vet and he told me she would be dead within hours , her heart was stopping, I had her put down. The next two pets had medical problems and had to be put to sleep. So, now we have the princess peewee Alexandria pike. I can see she is starting to run out of time. When I had her, her heart does seem to beeting regularly or strongly. Clearly I have been traumatized . If peewees heart continue beeting slowly or eraticately should I give her one of my husbands nitro's ? I apologize for going on and on.......I panic.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 5 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm so sorry to hear of your past traumatic experiences with your pets. Truly they were blessed to live as long as they did under your excellent care. Is Peewee acting differently at all or having trouble breathing? If she's acting completely normally and the only thing that's different is that heart beat, then I would be a bit less concerned than if she is coughing or has labored breathing or is lethargic. In either case, I would continue to work toward having her examined as soon as you're able - sooner if she's coughing, having trouble breathing, or acting lethargic. To directly answer your question "...should I give her one of my husband's nitro's" my answer would be no. Heart medications are prescribed and tailored specifically for the individual patient's disease and needs. Using something like nitro without knowing exactly what's wrong with her heart has the potential to do more harm than good. I know that you really want to do something, which I completely understand. However, it's important that the "something" we do doesn't have the potential to do more harm than good. I would concentrate your efforts on having her examined so that her disease can be diagnosed and a treatment plan can be made just for her. Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Peewee. How is everything going?

Doc Sara