Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

Seems to be suddenly deaf. I startle him when I wake him

Customer Question

Hi seems to be suddenly deaf. I startle him when I wake him up. He is also barking more than usual.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: He seems not to hear us like he usually does.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: He also has a hot spot on his left front leg near the elbow
JA: OK. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wound on the foot. I just did his feet and they are fine.
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Da Luca, English Springer Spaniel, and about 10 years. We've had him 3 yrs, as we adopted him from some people who couldn't keep him. He came up from California, so we don't know much before that. I've heard this breed have trouble with ear infections. would that make him suddenly not hear?
JA: What is the English springer spaniel's name?
Customer: DaLuca
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Deluca?
Customer: Don't think so -
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. It is not unusual for dogs DELuca's age to start to loose their hearing. It is best to have your vet check his ears to see if there may be a tumor or other issue that could cause this. The Hot Spot is a staff infection and will respond to Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs and apply Betadine or alcohol 70% to this lesion after clipping away the hair every 8 hrs. This will dry out this area so the bacteria cannot grow. There is also a possibility that DeLuca may have a neurologic issue that could cause hearing loss such as a brain tumor but these are now as common. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta