Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Dog choked on food dropped on floor by accident. Passed. Out.

Customer Question

Dog choked on food dropped on floor by accident. Passed. Out. Got it out seemed okay came to not constantly. Hacking. Started yesterday. Very small older chawowa. Babysitting. Owner out of country! Choked on spaghetti and its own vomit trying to eat as fast as it could. She was gone! But was okay for the rest of night and Monday-Tuesday. Yesterday. Morning. Started this constant dry cough like its got a hair ball.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Yes it got into spaghetti! Was eat it so fast and vomiting and eating at same time I could not get it away fast enough.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Shes older but not sure how old. I am dog sitting. She is my Daughter. In laws dog and She is out of country.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. It appears that the Expert you were hoping to speak with is not currently available. I have stepped in to assist you in their absence so that you have a prompt reply to your question. If you would rather wait for the Expert you had originally contacted, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) Has she had any history of collapsing trachea?2) Is she on any medications? 3) Have you seen any vomiting since the incident? 4) Any problems eating since then?