Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

She threw up tonight. I gave her a very small bite of fried

Customer Question

She threw up tonight. I gave her a very small bite of fried rice before I realized it had onions
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Just the small bite of rice. And I gave her a new kind of treat this morning.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tallulah. 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Talulah?
Customer: She has a very sensitive tummy. Had to have stomach opened up 2 times at 8 months after she got a piece of dog treat lodged in esophagus and tummy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She threw up about an hour after eating ... It was partly digested dog food and the fried rice. She threw up again about an hour later and it was just liquid.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pup Tallulah may have eaten some onions that were in a bite of fried rice and I understand that you are concerned because she vomited.Onions and garlic can be toxic for dogs because they cannot digest them properly leading to nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and cramping, red blood cell damage, anemia and secondary organ damage.The toxicity is dose dependent however. That means that a dog must eat a certain amount of onions per pound of body weight to see signs of toxicity. They must eat 0.5% of their body weight of onions in order to see toxic effects.You don't say how much Tallulah weighs but as an example in a 10 pound dog 0.5% is 0.05 pounds (10lbs X 0.005 = 0.05) or 0.8 ounces (16 ounces X 0.05 = 0.8 ounces) of onions.For reference a medium onion is about 6 ounces, so she if she's about 10 pounds she would need to eat roughly 1/8th of medium sized onion. I doubt that there would be that amount of onion in 1 bite of fried rice. But fried rice is greasy, and she had a new treat this morning too and in a dog with a sensitive stomach dog that could be more than enough to cause vomiting.To try and settle her stomach you can give either:1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of 1/4 of a 10mg tablet for a pup her size every 12 hoursOR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of 1/4 of a 10mg tablet for a pup her size every 24 hoursThese are acid reducers and should help her feel less nauseous. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if needed.Then you should with-hold food for 12 hours.After her 12 hours food fast to decrease the symptoms of stomach upset you can feed her a bland diet for the next couple of days. A homemade bland diet is a mix of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or lean boiled hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. Feed small meals frequently.Once she is feeling better slowly reintroduce her regular diet, a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take about a week to convert her back. Then you really need to not give her table food to avoid future upset.Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
You are very welcome. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She has had the same thing happen 2 times in the last month... Usually just one day and throws up 2-3 times... I do the fasting and bland diet for her and she will be ok. Just happened more than usual lately
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
I see, this poor little one sounds like she may have food allergies, inflammatory bowel disease, pancreatitis or Addison's disease (low functioning adrenal gland) leading to intermittent vomiting.It may be worth feeding her a sensitive stomach diet like those made by Hills Science diet or Royal Canin companies.If those aren't restrictive enough and her vomiting continues you could also try feeding a canned only sensitive diet such as Hills i/d or Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets EN. If you've tried these sensitive stomach diets then perhaps a hypoallergenic diet such as Hills z/d or Royal Canin single protein, or Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets HA would be helpful.And perhaps you should consider having her tested for Addison's disease. These repeated episodes aren't normal and should be addressed.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will call her vet in am
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
That sounds like a great idea. These episodes are much too frequent and should be investigated further.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****