Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

She drank draino somehow she got my bathroom door open and

Customer Question

She drank draino somehow she got my bathroom door open and I can smell it on her breath
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Angel 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Angel?
Customer: Not that I can't think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.
Drano contains lye (sodium hydroxide) which is considered a caustic chemical to the mucous membranes of Angel's digestive tract. It's important to thoroughly wash out her oral cavity and then provide access to favored liquids such as milk, cream, broths, or bouillons in an attempt to dilute any lye she might have ingested. There's no specific antidote and inducing emesis is contraindicated. You'll need to watch for signs of GI ulceration - vomiting and/or diarrhea particularly with blood. If you see these symptoms, Angel's vet should attend to her. Injectable antacid and oral "liquid bandage" in the form of sucralfate will be administered. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Hi Michelle,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?